1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Any left handers in the house?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Cave_Dweller, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I recently discovered just how different life can be as a left hander, when a Masahiro left handed gyuto landed on the mat, so I went on a hunt to discover what other 'proper' left hand ground knives are available. The 'sinister' among us have far fewer options than the dexterous, and it's not easy to find proper left hand ground J knives. I decided to try anyway!

So far I've learned that Masahiro have a couple of ranges in Stainless and Virgin Carbon, which is a nice start. Misono do left handed options, and I just noticed that CKTG have some Kanahide models. Then there's also the 'buy something that ain't too convexed and live with it' option, which is the choice I made when I bought a Gesshin Ginga Gyuto from Jon - and it's a great knife which works really well for me.

Any lefties out there who can point me towards other makers that offer good options for us southpaws please? I'm looking nearer the budget end of the market, and for various types - I could use a deba, a nakiri / usuba (depending on grind) and a 240 gyuto. As such this isn't really a 'recommend me a knife' request, it's more of a 'recommend me some makers to look at' thing.

Oh, and I'm in the UK if it matters.

Cheers All,
    Glenn.

2. I am not left handed but I know a few lefties that go with mizuno. Give koki a email at japanesechefsknife.com he will help you out. I love mizuno I feel they are over looked a lot of the time for some reason.

3. Let's ask a trained expert! @Lefty

4. Thanks folks. Interesting that I've spent ages browsing JCK without ever spotting the Mizuno stuff!