1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Dr Who fans here?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Bill T, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Like the title says. ..Any fans of the show?

I used to like it when I was a kid, they had episodes on Channel 13 (back when there were only 13 channels).

And recently I started watching Gordon Ramsay in Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. Well, after KN they have been playing Dr Who episodes, so having been a fan decades ago, I decided to give it a go and check them out.

And yes, I got hooked again. No so much for some of the older ones but the new.
    The newest man to play the Dr (the 12th Dr) is a Scottish actor named Peter Capaldi. I find he brings a bit more power and style to the show than some of the younger actors do.

Of course the show can still be a bit cheesy, and if you don't like sci-fi you probably won't like it. But if you do, I urge you to check it out.
    Here in the US it's on BBC America on Saturday nights.

2. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

LOVE The Doctor! I try to watch on Netflix don't get a lot of opportunity. Definitely not up to date on the show but love it all the same.

3. My 16 yo boy and 13yo girl are huge fans, not to mention their 52yo dad. My wife is a fan to a lesser extent. We have seen all the "new" DR Who shows - many of them multiple times and are slowly going thru the classic ones via Netflix mail.

No one in my family is a fan of the new Dr although my son who is border line obsessive about it (wonder where he got that from:)) will defend him by reminding us he is more in line with the classic Dr's. We've been watching for about 3 years, agree on the cheesy sometimes, but it's a fun show with some danger/excitement but no foul language and the other problems I have with many of the shows on TV now.

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

i thought i was, but i got him confused with the guy from Dr Seuss

5. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

6. I loved it as a kid, but then completely ignored it for 20+ years. The most recent series are made in large part just up the road from me, so there was some local interest (mostly for my kids) and I started watching again.
    It's kinda weird seeing Cybermen march up the road when you're out shopping!

I'm not a regular viewer though, so most of the time I find myself thinking 'have I missed something?'. I'm still on the fence about Peter Capaldi, but that's not unusual - it always takes me a while to start enjoying'new' Doctors; I'm still a Jon Pertwee fan!

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I saw a few episodes and was intrigued but compleatly lost plot wise.
    Where to start with background? Netflix maybe?

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Loved the show when I was a kid. I remeber watching it with my dad. Hope to get the time to watch some of the new version.

9. James

okay from the 2005 im watching episode 1 now... so ill let you know, I mean how much can someone miss in a she from 1968-2005 lol

10. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

i watch it... i started with the newer ones, then went back and watched a lot of the old ones too... always entertaining

11. James

well i just got introduced to the tenth doctor so the shore can't be solo that bad lol

12. James

okay I'm caught up to the ongoing season, so I'll have to wait till it ends.. it's odd watching the who thing back to back to back when the actors change with the doctors but it's a cool little show for something that keeps it fairly family friendly