1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Cigar Lovers Out There?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Lefty, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

My family and I just got back from vacation, in the Dominican Republic, where there are great cigars aplenty, and dudes who roll them for a great price. I have always been a cigar fan, but don't smoke them in the winter, because I don't like dragging the smell inside with me. You could say I'm a "fair weather cigar smoker" - during a round of golf, there's nothing better - and I think my trip has gotten me back into them a few months early, this year.
    I'm wondering if there are any cigar fans out there, and if so, what's your favourite? Do you have any recommendations for cigars or humidors (I need a nice one)?
    I like a smooth, yet dark coffee feeling cigar, like a 5x50 Maduro. The "No Name" cigars I fell for, in DR are just this, and I only brought six of them home with me. Dummy....
    So, let's talk cigars, guys! :D

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Hello! I've been a cigar guy for about 13 years, but quite honestly...I'm rather stupid when it comes to brands, shapes and sizes.
    I like to pick out a random selection of cigars, let them sit in my humidor for months on end, and occasionally smoke one when the mood is right.
    Yesterday I enjoyed a Gurkha Warlord (thanks Jim!). It was tasty, didn't leave the usual strong aftertaste either.

I prefer a mild cigar, but again...no clue what brands are classified as mild.

I know I like Acid brand, 1400CC specifically. They catch a lot of slack cause they are "infused". But I dig them.

I also like the Acid Cigarillos, and Al Capone brand cigarillos.

cheaphumidors.com is probably the go to place for humidors. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/humidors.html?gclid=CI2Lv-6ersQCFdgZgQodsnkA8g

I wouldn't say you need a "nice one" as in expensive and visually appealing. More importantly is buying a bigger one than you think you need. If you see a good 25-50 count humidor you think will suffice, go ahead and upgrade to the next 50-100 count humidor. It's just my opinion that you don't want to max out a small humidor, so if you think "I'll just keep 40-50 cigars on hand" then get one that will hold at least 100. The added space will do your cigars some good, plus you'll have extra room in case you run across a good deal or just a few more cigars you want to try.

I've gotten by with a $40 humidor going on 2 years now. Got it for my bday and was ordered off Amazon.

3. Toothpick

I've also ordered a sampler pack of cigars from these guys and it was decent.
    Plenty of options here. You can sort by size, wrapper and strength too
    http://www.cigarsinternational.com

4. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I'm guilty.

I particularly like sticks from Mike's Cigars down here in Fl. mikescigars.com

They frequently do "themed" samplers where you can try 5 different smokes from a single maker, 5 from the same country or 5 from different makers but all the same ring size, and so on. Their house brand "Licenciados" is a nice, mild cigar, available in several sizes.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Cigars and pipes here as well. In fact I am hiding in the garage having a diesel perfecto as I type this.

6. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

I need to give them a try!

I knew I liked you! :) I need to learn, my friend.

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Just try a bunch of stuff, if you have a local shop they are very helpful- you can select a range of cigars that vary from mild to full flavor. Keeping in mind that you would like a different cigar reading the Sunday morning paper than after a big steak dinner.
    What have you had and what impressions have you had from them.

8. I agree with Jim - it's very personal and very dependent on the situation. Try different things. If you can find a local shop, as opposed to online buying, it makes all the difference. For me, I have two distinct situations where I love cigars. 1. During a round of golf. I like a cigar that's mildish, sizable and easy to relight. For me that's an Ashton Magnum. Because it's so mild, it's also an easy cigar to introduce to guests. 2. Those perfect summer nights after dinner with your family. There might be an hour of perfect light looking out at the mountains. This is time for my all time favorite cigar, a Fuente Short Story Maduro.

9. Toothpick

I just decided I wanted to try more cigarillos so I picked these up last night.

[​IMG]

Tried the Perdomo yesterday it's quite good. My only other experience is with Al Capone cigarillos and these two are miles apart. Perdomo wins that battle.