1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

another rabbit hole I'm starting down...

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Oct 28, 2017.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Sweet. I am liking the way this is starting. Could be a forge, or a smokehouse. I am tuned in either way.

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ha, a bit much for a smoker I think. it does throw a lot of heat. have an old portable air tank that I've begun retrofitting for the burner. got the end cut off today and holes to work through. welded a mount for the burner to the top of the tank. waiting now for the ceramic blanket, rigidizer and Satinite refractory to arrive. a conduit coupler would have been the ticket for the burner mount, but the local did not have it, so got a piece of 1.5 inch black pipe. turns out that it was probably pushing it for my mig welder. I got it on, but not proud of the welds

5. Jim

6. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

An old buddy of mine did something similar to this, but it was for his heavy duty cast iron skillet. He would get it ripping hot and sear ribeye on it. It was outstanding. He'd get it going for large cookout.
    The texture, sear, aromas and flavor have not been forgotten

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I could see it for the steak cooker too. this thing roars quit a bit when running. but I think it would get the cast iron up to sear quickly.

8. Jim

A peice of 1 inch steel street plate makes a dandy flat top substitute.

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

forge (1).jpg forge (2).jpg

Not destined for the thin blue line...

10. Jim

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Red Green, eat your heart out!

12. got a hammer too?

13. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Not a sweet hammer, but a selection that will get me started. mjr_nov_hunt-2.jpg

14. hehehe, good luck! I'm tuned in.

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

had considered welding it together once the insulation was in. but that, I thought, would make applying the various coatings difficult, so I decided to put a hinge and latch on it. I know the welding sucks. I put a fan on me with all the doors open to move away any fumes from the galvanized and I think it pulled my gas away as well. anyway, a poor excuse is better than none. Probably fashion some handles for the latch and door.

forge4.jpg forge3.jpg forge5.jpg

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

got the insulation in it tonight. 2 layers of 1 inch koawool. coated it with colloidal silica rigidizer solution, seen being dried with my construction heater. tomorrow I will fire it to vitrify the rigidizer then apply the next coating.

forge6.jpg forge7.jpg forge8.jpg

17. Jim

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

thanks Jim

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

a short burn setting the rigidizer. today I got the first coat of satinite on it. despite the flash you can see a bit of "dragon's breath" coming out of it.

forge9.jpg forge10.jpg