1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Forgecraft Refurb

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I didn't thin this one, just cleaned up the blade, reprofiled, and sharpened. The tang was converted to accept a wa handle. This was my very first octagonal wa handle I've made and I'm 75% happy with it. *Note - I'm no Stefan. [​IMG] The wood used is Mediterranean Briar Burl with an Oregon Maple Burl spacer. I went with a wood spacer to keep it simple (to match the knife) but I paired up the woods because the blue maple spacer has orange flakes that match up perfectly with the main handle wood. It worked for me anyways. The reason why I did this octagonal handle was that I owed Dave (ecchef) a handle because of a previously broken one and I wanted to replace with as close to what he sent as possible. I also figured that Dave would cut me some slack if it didn't turn out so great. [​IMG] I do hope you like it though Dave, I gave it my best shot.

Forgecraft Refurb1.jpg Forgecraft Refurb2.jpg P1010002.JPG P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG P1010014.JPG Forgecraft Refurb3.jpg

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Looks like it was meant to be that way, Dave. Really nice!

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I blame you for the cost increase on Forgecrafts.

5. Dave Martell

Thanks guys! :)

6. Dave Martell

And your to blame for me actually taking the first steps to do a wa handle. After you told me how you do the angles I knew I had to try. :)

BTW, the Forgecraft thing is all Son's fault.

7. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

It absolutely is Son's fault. You sure didn't help, though. :)