1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Ajikiri in great condition:D

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by BathonUk, Oct 25, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

What you gonna say for that?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

very anxious to see what you will do Greg.

3. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Why do you think that I will do something about it?:D The tang is in very very bad condition:(

4. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I have an ajikiri I can send it to you Greg , I don't know where you would start with this one

5. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Thank you Mert but I don't need ajikiri. I will try to bring this one to life. Somebody who ask me to fix this knife sent me a pictures, but when postman brought it today I was bewildered. Really. I will do that only because I want to check how it will turn out.
    I just clean it a little bit to check where am I standing.

Sanding paper:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stones:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty of work in the future. My next step will be cleaning the tang with wire brush mounted on the drill. If I will have 2cm of clean tang then I will continue. Otherwise I will send the knife back to it's owner.

6. Looks pretty cool so far. One quick question: why have you started cleaning bevel/polishing before fixing chips on the edge? My understanding is that edge needs significant grinding (like 2-3mm) and after such grinding you'll need to move bevel up to the same 2-3mm. Though you might have something else on your mind :)

7. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Wow someone must have found that on a scuba expedition or something. Cheers for trying to get something out of it!

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I suspect you have considered at least three ways to overcome the tang issue:D

9. I too clean the face before working on the edge. So I can use sandpaper and coarse ScotchBrite near the old edge without worrying too much,

10. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Anton trust me, I didn't mean to work on this knife before. I had other plans but I was really curious what is happening there and is it worth to start working on it. I shouldn't even work on it today because I have hangover,after yesterdays party, but I couldn't resist.

I cleaned tang and whole blade with dremel tool. I can't do it better. I want to leave as much tang as possible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I marked what I have to remove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have risked using belt grinder.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ura side:

[​IMG]
    And after sharpening:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Do you think that I should work more on ura side? I am worried about these black spots and holes. If I will flatten it more then flat part will be wider. What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Tom

Tom Founding Member

I've always wondered if single bevels could be treated similarly to plane irons and lightly hammered to adjust the Ura

Description and pictures here:
    http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/2014/04/kanna-help-you-perhaps-iii.html

Or you could try grinding it out by modifying the platten on your grinder to an arc by fixing a curved piece to it. Reasonably dense wood should survive a few knives.

Or grind it out by hand, similarly to in the link above.

With the pitting on the back side it will interfere with the edge at that point. Depends if you want to spend the time to try to fix it.
    Looks a whole lot better already

12. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Thank you Tom for the tip and link. Actually I already talked to a friend of mine who is a carpenter and he will show me tapping out the ura side on JNS gathering.
    I finished this knife.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

14. Well done!

15. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Damn!!! Came out way nice. :)

16. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Brings to mind the expression about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Congratulations.

17. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

Very nice job, Greg - as always.

18. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

very nice work!

19. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

awsome job Greg

20. The amount of work is impressive. Especially when you put before/after photos side by side.