1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A weekend of great food

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Toothpick, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I spent Thursday - Saturday in Miami for a friends wedding and thought I would share a few photos of the food I ate while there.

We flew in Thursday and that evening we all ate at The Peacock Garden Cafe which was within walking distance of our hotel. Great outdoor setting (indoor as well, but we did outdoor). Palms, glass tables, and casual dining. The service there was great. We had a table of 20 people and the one waiter (yeah one!) assigned to us did an outstanding job.

I had the skirt steak with potatoes, chorizo and goat cheese. Didn't care for the chorizo (spicy, me no like) but the steak and potatoes with goat cheese were YUMMY. I would totally recommend this place.

[​IMG]

Friday was the wedding. My friend got married on the Carnival Cruise ship Ecstasy and set sail on the ship too. Myself and several others opted out of the cruise. While on the ship we got to experience the lunch buffet which was a typical buffet, tasty but no pics. Later on was the wedding and reception.
    Not sure why I didn't get a whole shot of the reception buffet (probably focused to much on the open bar) but one half was sushi, the other half was hot food - spring rolls, goat empanadas,....and some other stuff I can't remember. Oh yeah, they had chicken nuggets...which I remember because they really didn't fit in at all, but probably for the kids.

Anyway, cool ice thingy and fruit in the middle.

[​IMG]

Sushi and fancy meat. Don't even ask because I don't know what.

[​IMG]

I sampled just about one of everything though. Turns out...I'm not a big fan of sushi and fancy meat. But oddly...even though it didn't give me the WOW factor, it was still satisfying.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, the carrot cake. Holy moly one of the best I've ever ate. Soooo good. It's the type of goodness that makes you finish the whole thing despite being super full from dinner. "ugghh I'm sooo full, but this is sooooo good. Can't. Stop. Eating."

[​IMG]

That was it for Friday. After we left the boat we went back to our hotel area. Did some sight seeing, found a sports bar and ate bar food

Saturday we did an Everglades tour. Got to try some alligator tail. No pics but I liked it. Kind of chewy, not really any taste besides what it was breaded with. I'd eat me some alligator again.
    Here's myself and a gator.

[​IMG]

Saturday evening was more of checking out the city around our hotel. When we got hungry we found Taurus Beer & Whiskey House. If you ever find yourself in the Coconut Grove area near Miami do yourself a favor and stop here. 10+ draft beers, nearly 40 different bottles of beer, and any kind of whiskey you want. I'm not a liquor guy but I had a Miami Weiss from the MIA Brewing Co. and it was TASTY! So tasty I got another.
    Our waiter here was probably the best waiter I've ever experienced. Super laid back, knew the menu inside and out, told us a little about every dish and wasn't afraid to tell us what wasn't good at all. They share the kitchen with another partner bar/restaurant behind them.

I choose something I never had before.
    The Chef's Ceviche with tostones (fried green plantains). He said the fish was either grouper or mahi-mahi (I think). It was whatever was freshest for that day. This dish was amazing. I don't know what else to say about it. Looks like a small meal but it was loaded with fish. Plus I got to sample the french fries with truffle oil one of my friends had with her burger - which I also had a bite of and it was GOOOOD. Anyone down there must check out this bar.

[​IMG]

Later that night after a good dose of brew and cigars we wanted something quick before we called it a night which led us to Chinese take out for our last meal in Miami. Not much you can say about this. Pretty much tastes the same everywhere.
    Oh yeah, and another first for me - A Long Island Ice Tea. Son of a gun I didn't know what I was getting with that!

[​IMG]

I ate well while in Miami to say the least!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. I ate well today as well, but after reading your post i started to think about eating some more. :)

3. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Now I'm hungry! I had leftover Nathan's hotdogs....

6. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Long way from Nashville...

7. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Sounds like you had a great time!