1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A pair of chef's knives I made

Discussion in 'Knife & Gear Galleries' started by Matthew McVicar, May 19, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small triple stack, twisted 'W' damascus, mammoth ivory and nickel silver spacers with ancient redgum handle.

Large version of the same knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments/critiques welcome.

2. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Pretty elegant knife, Matthew, well done.

Looking at the larger version I'd personally prefer a bit more of belly and shorter neck.
    Glad we are seeing more and more makers on this forum.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Matthew , very nice Damascus , very nice craftsmanship , beautiful looking knives . I agree with Anton's comments , in addition I am not big fan of visible plunge lines in kitchen knives , looking forward for your next ones

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Matthew, they look the business for sure. I'm not sure what I's seeing in the light band running the length of the knife in the center third. and is visible plunge line what is from the choil leaning forward towards the spine?

Well done
    Mike

8. It looks very nice. Like Antom, I'd like to see a little more belly. Not a lot, just a little more.

9. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

great looking knife, I cant really talk geometry as I don't have enough experience so i differ to those that do, ill just stick with
    Wow great looking knife

10. Thanks for your comments, the lighter band is due to an addition of 1075 to that part of the billet. The other two thirds are 1095/15n20.

There is a slight lean on the plunge line. I thought it looked better than straight up and down although it's slight

11. Thanks Anton,

I made these to a style of knife I prefer. I don't like belly in my kitchen knives, having a preference for push cutting. I very rarely do any kind of rocking cutting and I found that a minimal belly with a heavier tip really worked for me. I do a stainless kitchen knife in a similar style. I've nearly finished one so will post pics soon.

Completely agree that a lot of others will much prefer a knife like you've described and have a customer after something just like that. It will be a W2/blue #2 San mai but that is a while off as I'm away from home for another few weeks.

Appreciate the comments. Will never improve without genuine critiques so looking forward to hearing more from you guys.

What a great forum.

Matt

12. I can't decide whether I like plunges or not, so just do what I feel like at the time. I think a knife can look very 'clean' without them.

For these ones I just like how the damascus changes around the plunge.

I have another piece of this billet and I was unsure what to do with it. Perhaps I will forge out a blade more to shay has been suggested...

More belly, narrower neck, no plunge lines. Can't hurt to see how it would turn out