1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A little project

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Jeffery Hunter, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Found this this old beaut while going through the kitchen at the grandma's house as we prepare to take it over. [​IMG] 6 1/2" Uticia Superedge once we are moved in next week I'll clean it up put an edge on it and try putting a new handle on it.

2. Sounds like the beginning of a WIP thread. Looking forward to it. :)

3. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

What kind of wood are you thinking of using? Something classic or more modern and exotic?

4. Jeffery Hunter

I haven't decided on wood. Possible something different. Maybe dyed. Once the move is finished on Sunday I plan on getting a little more into it and will post pics along the way.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

me too Jeffery. Bated breath!!:pop

7. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

How did this turn out Jeffery? Love to see an update!

8. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

9. Jeffery Hunter

It's slowly taking some shape. I have sanded it with 600 wet dry and may leave it like that to keep the character of it. Trying to decide what to do with the handle and slowly working the chips out of the edge. Planned on working on it a little tomorrow so I'll put up some updated pics then.

10. Jeffery Hunter

IMGP5556.jpg A shot from cleaning it up a little. When I unwrapped the tape from the handle it basically popped off due to the split. There are a few good dings in the edge to work out after I fashion some sort of handle...

11. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

That looks real nice Jeff.
    You said maybe a dyed wood. What, if any choices do you have on hand?
    If you'd like, I could post some names of wood guys I use on ebay.
    What size are the rivet holes and what's planned for them?
    Sorry if I'm a little too excited. ..I love seeing old things get a second chance at life.

12. Jeffery Hunter

No need to apologize for motivating me to get back at this @Bill T I appreciate it! The holes are currently 5mm but I think I may make the rear one larger and go with a single pin, brass or such depending on the wood I suppose. If you could shoot me a PM with some vendors to check I would appreciate it and probably more appropriate via PM. I do plan on Mocking up something while I work on the blade so I can move forward.

13. Jeffery Hunter

Waiting on some maple burl scales I ordered for this. I'll post some pics when they show up.

14. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Bump? How's it going wih this?

15. Jeffery Hunter

A crazy holiday catering season happened.... now a week off and back on to some projects. Some straights to hone for a buddy then work knives a good once over then this guy. I have cleaned up the tang and have scales. Now it seems I have some time.

16. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

OK, its where all my projects are :-D