1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

A little introduction...

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Jul 14, 2016.

1. I have been making knives just over a year via the stock removal method. I work primarily in AEBL and 52100.
    I was an avid scuba diver in my younger years and also loved hunting, so my initial intent was to make hunting and fillet knives.
    Well, I foolishly made my first Japanese kitchen knife, and I have spiraled from there. This style is all I can seem to think about and I spend hours on end in that study.
    I have a full time corporate job, so have limited hours to spend making knives.

Here are a few examples of some early and recent work. I find my style evolving constantly at this point as I learn more about these fascinating knives.
    These are roughly chronological... I hope you enjoy having a look.

(Second kitchen knife)

[​IMG]

(Early Gyuto)

[​IMG]

(First attempt at Yanagi)

[​IMG]

(2nd)

[​IMG]

Recent work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Nice work Mark. I like the next to last one best. all real beauties though.

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Boy, you can sure see the progress. Well done.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. The 2 lats ones are very gorgeous blades! What kind of grind do you usually aim at?

7. Thanks for the kind comments all. I appreciate the encouragement.

Initially my grinds were standard flat grinds, but I went ahead and purchased the rotary platen and it has been a real pleasure to work with on convex grinding. All of the later knives are convex.
    I keep thinking about S grinds and similar variations and will likely do some testing along those lines, but for now the convex is working very well.
    The kiritsuke gyuto was gifted to the Mrs and it performs very well with decent food release.
    Thanks for the question and interest Z.

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Good stuff Mark, glad to have you with the forum.

9. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Nice progress , well done . Welcome to the fora Mark

10. Do you send away for heat treat

11. At this point I do send for HT. I am contemplating setting up a computer controlled system and doing my own at some point, but I have had great results sending them out. Each blade is tested.