1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

250mm CTS-XHP Kiritsuki tip gyuto, spalted pecan

Discussion in 'Houston Edge Works' started by Pennman88, Sep 20, 2016.

1. This is a 250mm kiritsuki tip gyuto made from CTS-XHP stainless. The interesting thing is that I can feel the slight difference in XHP from CPM 154CM during grinding. This has slightly more abrasion resistance which is consistent with the better edge performance XHP has over 154CM.

The handle is full tang and balances right at the bend in the choil. Scales are spalted Texas pecan (correctly pronounced puh-KON, not PEE-kan) with wenge bolsters, G10 trim and liners and a custom made center brass mosaic pin. The fitted leather saya has yellow stitching to pickup the trim in the handle.

And of course, my name in Kanji written by Masaharu Morimoto (yes, Iron Chef Morimoto) is on the blade.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Great looking knife. Gorgeous piece of Puh-Kon. How much tougher is this to work in than Aeb-l?

4. really a nice one!

5. Very noticibly more difficult to work than AEBL. Has alloying elements that AEBL doesn't for fabulous edge retention and abrasion resistance. It really eats up ceramic grinding belts.

My pro chef customers really love this steel and are really surprised by the edge retention and infrequency of sharpening needed.

This Exec chef has had his knives for about three months (these texts were today):

image.jpeg