1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

220mm Gyuto WIP

Discussion in 'Maumasi Fire Arts' started by Mareko Maumasi, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Time to WIP it, WIP it good!

This is the initial layup of what will eventually become a 220mm Topography Damascus Gyuto with forged integral bolster and recurve heel. After I snapped this first photo, I ran a bead of weld down this and the opposing side to hold the pieces together, then welded on a handle.
    [​IMG]

This is after the first round of forging. The steel is almost 2ft long while my forge is only 11in long, which results in my thermo-cycleing the billet in sections. From here I grind off the forge-scale, cut the billet into 6 equal length pieces, re-stack and tack them, then forge it out a second time.
    [​IMG]

Here the billet has been forge-welded and drawn out a second time. Next I'll cut a chunk off and begin forging the blade out. Thank baby Jesus it's suppose to be a little bit cooler tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

To be continued . . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Topography has become quite popular hasn't it?

3. It has indeed.

4. From a little chuck of steel and a lot smashin like BamBam, a blade is born. In the bottom pic I'm prepping to draw out the tang.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]
    Blade is all forged out and ready for some serious grinding.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Amazing to see it come together. That's a lot of thin layers! And if the markings on the forged blade are any indication, that's going to be a great example of you topography pattern. (Which is only chosen by people of impeccable taste!)

7. @Lucretia, Thanks! I'm glad you're diggin' it.

Here's another one!

The blade has been primary-ground and is now ready to be heat-treated.
    [​IMG]

8. How thick do you leave the edge before HT?

9. Thanks for the question! Around 1/16in. That way I can grind away any material that might have lost some carbon during the HT process.

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Amazing how quickly it goes from a stack of metal to a recognizable knife.

11. Tang slot is bored out and fit up to the bottom shoulders of the bolster perfectly![​IMG]

12. Next I need to get the silicon bronze spacer fit up and handle profile roughly cut out so I can rivet the handle on from the pommel.

13. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Shaping up nicely. What wood is that?

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Amboyna burl.

15. Spacer is made and scribed and ready to be slotted.
    [​IMG]

16. First you have to drill a whole, then use the cheap ass needle files from Harbor Freight to open up the slot.
    [​IMG]

17. The whole for the pommel rivet has been drilled and everything seems to be fitting up quite nicely. Also did a light etch on the blade to see what's happening in the steel. I'm pretty happy with it!

18. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I love the WIPs. No matter what anyone says this stuff is voodoo!
    Looking forward to the end.

19. Finally finished! A look from all four "corners" of the handle.[​IMG]

20. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Some kinda sexy, right there, sir! :cool1 :jump :like