1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

2017 East Coast Gathering (ECG) - Sunday May 21 in Alexandria, VA

Discussion in 'Get togethers, Tastings, Restaurant Openings, Etc' started by WildBoar, Mar 7, 2017.

1. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

The 2017 ECG is officially set for Sunday, May 21 in Alexandria, VA. I will be hosting again this year.

For those of you who have not attended one in the past, forum members and their SOs (and some kids) typically begin arriving around noon and trickle in and out through the afternoon and into the evening. Many bring knives to show, and there is usually some stuff around to cut up. There will be some tables set out for the knives.

Food and drinks are a group effort. We'll supply a little bit, and attendees also contribute. We'll have plates, plastic utensils, cups, etc. The ovens and stove are available for whoever may need them, as well as a charcoal Weber or two, and a gas grill.

This is a low-stress event meant to be more of a chance to meet forum members and catch up with old friends then anything else. There is no obligation to bring knives or to contribute to the food/ drinks.

Last year we had over 40 people, including some down from NY, NJ and PA, and some from the south and deep South. And it was a good mix of restaurant pros, home cooks, a knifemaker and even a couple people who like knives but don't cook [​IMG]

There will also be a dinner on Saturday night. Last year we went to the Green Pig Bistro, where we were able to fawn over the display case full of ChucktheButcher's knife most prized knives, and visit with Charlie's parents. This year we can return to GPB, or go to one of the restaurants in DC presided over by Fora/ Forum chefs.

Please chime in on this thread if you think you may attend. if you happen to be on a different kitchen knife forum that may have a similar thread, you only need to respond in one place. As the event nears I will send out an email with more specific information, including the address.

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Dave,

Tryin' like hell to work it into the schedule......... won't know til event comes closer. :cool1 Will stay in touch. All the best.

Al

PS: Thank you for hosting again this year it is greatly appreciated!

3. WildBoar

It would be great if you are able to swing it.

4. butch

butch Founding Member

i have every plan to show up might even try to get the wife and kids out this time

5. WildBoar

Good deal -- the ECGs are family-friendly here.

...at least to families not intimated by 100+ knives out for easy grasp :D

6. Dream Burls

Dream Burls Founding Member

I'll try to make it. Will know more as the day approaches.

7. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I am 30 miles north east of Baltimore near the 95 corridor if anyone needs a ride from those parts.

8. butch

butch Founding Member

the kids are both good with sharps jenna more so then derek and i bet she wodul love to see all the fancy stuff and try maybe some of the foods (will help if she can get past being a bit shy in large groups of people)

9. WildBoar

It would be nice if they made the trek down. I suspect there will be kids from 4 to 16.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

they are 12-13 but i woudl hav eot have them back here in PA no later rthen 530 so that cuts into me getting good dinner stuffs ;) i will need to be packing up at no later then 4. guess i ll hav eot do with all the other great goodies just hope that anyone that wants anythign will get to see me between noon and 4

11. WildBoar

Tough trade-off. Show them step-dad has a bunch of super-cool friends -- yet miss out on the best of the ECG food -- or have them keep thinking you're weird but you get to stay and eat well :)

12. WildBoar

*** B U M P ***

Less than 6 weeks until the ECG! :cool:

13. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Dang, that snuck up fast.

14. WildBoar

tell me about it :D

Not much chatter yet on who may be attending.

15. butch

butch Founding Member

man i have work to do

16. WildBoar

well, get on it! :D

17. Thanks for hosting again David. I'm very much looking forward to it. Trying to figure out what to make and the logistics involved as it will be a busy weekend. -Doug

18. WildBoar

ECG is only 3-1/2 weeks away!

Shoot me a note if you need more info (such as address, etc.) or want to reserve a seat at dinner the evening before.

Thanks!

19. WildBoar

I am being a PITA and bumping this again. Only 19 days out, so it is getting near time to send out emails with more complete info, as well as start compiling a list of what food, etc. people may be bring so we can figure out what else to provide.

And I need to make dinner reservations for May 20 by this weekend, so please let me know if you want to attend dinner the night before the ECG. I am leaning towards scheduling it earlier (like 6 pm) rather then later, but I welcome any feedback.

20. WildBoar

MAY 9 UPDATE

Thanks to ChefCosta, we have a dinner reservation on May 20 at 5:30 pm at Zaytinya. I will be sending confirmation emails to those who had indicated they wanted to attend the Saturday night dinner. There should be 14 of us.

And Don Nguyen is sending 2 or 3 knives for ECG attendees to play with. There will be a gyuto or two, plus a scimitar prototype.

Bill13 is going to age another steak (just 2 weeks this time, but still much better then fresh from the store), and I may grill up some jerk chicken.