1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

1000 Grit Stone ...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by ptolemy, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ptolemy

ptolemy Founding Member

Hi guys:)

I have a green brick that I use as a mid stone and finish on a chosera 5k. But, I would like something that's very fast cutting but relatively inexpensive... Right now I have a 240/1k unknown combo but would like something proven to be a very fast cutter. It doesn't have to be 1000 grit, I suspect 800-1500 is fine, since it'll come before green brick.

If you have something in mind, please let me know... if you have one you want to move, please let me know as well :)

TIA

2. With a little more info I'm sure we can find you a great stone for your needs.
    What is your preference as far as stones? hard/soft, muddy or not, splash n go/soaker, etc?
    What do you like/dislike about the green brick?

If you don't have any preferences and sticking with 800-1.5k range... the shapton glass stone 1k is the fastest stone I have used. Hard(really hard), splash n go, minimal to no mud stone.

If speed is your ultimate goal just use only a single low grit stone(500 glass) and no other stones. Used properly it will give you a sharp toothy edge sufficient for most kitchen tasks.

3. ptolemy

ptolemy Founding Member

I think I prefer softer stones because I am not a pro at sharpening and harder stones likely give me less room to mess up... I heard shapton was also very fast....

4. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

I've tried a lot of 1k stones, and on the softer side I like Maxim's 800. It's a big soaker, makes mud, feels great, cuts quickly, leaves a nice scratch pattern, and is great for leaving a frosty finish on kasumi cladding. Doesn't feel as good as a King 1k (to me), but cuts faster and doesn't dish as quickly.

5. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Another option for lower grit that is fast, rather soft, but does not dish too quickly, and cheap, is bestor 700. Should be quite suitable since you have a green brick as the next stone in line.

6. ptolemy

ptolemy Founding Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone... Any more choices?:) I want to stay below $50 but that maybe not possible for a brand name, quality stone>?

7. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Japanese Knife Sharpening has a Bester 1200 in your price range. I like it. Maybe Dave will pipe in with a different recommendation.

8. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Get a King 800. cheap, works and feels great, multi-purpose, just gettit.

9. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

One of my favorite stones and was going to suggest as well .

10. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

If you don't mind a harder stone the Shapton Pro 1000 is a winner.

11. cclin

cclin Founding Member

korin's Mizuyama #1000 stone is on soft side & create nice slurry of mud!!

12. You may consider the Chosera 800 as well. As you probably know its grit indication corresponds more or less to a 1.2k JIS. A fast cutter, very versatile.

13. Squirrel Master

Squirrel Master Founding Member

for a $50 budget, the bester 1200 is the best stone that can be had in that grit range IMO. if youre willing to spend some more money, grab the gesshin 1200.

14. ptolemy

ptolemy Founding Member

thanks for all the information everyone:)

15. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I'll concur with this, though my experience is somewhat limited with others

16. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Bester 1200 here though I'd like to try the Gesshin 1000 grit XL. Gotta save up for that one.

17. Squirrel Master

i believe jon developed the 1200 because there were things about the 1k he wasnt quite happy with.

18. Squirrel Master

to the OP, im not sure whether you use stainless or carbon, but ive found that i liked using the bester 1200 more for mainly carbon knives and the bester 1k more for stainless knives. gesshin 1200 is better on both stainless and carbon, and its splash and go.

19. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

I don't care much for splash and go stones however...

20. Squirrel Master