1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Time and Temps for Sous vide ..boneless Lamb roast?

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

2. Sounds about right Jim. If I remember, Modernist goes a bit higher, I think 133, but with a saddle if I remember. I would think you'll get great results with your plan!

3. Jim

I was shooting a bit low as I really enjoy a good crust on the meat and it always shoots up a bit. ( who am I kidding I hate lamb)

Thanks Neal

4. Huw

Huw Founding Member

If you want a nice crust you may be better to cook & cool the meat, and bring up to temp from cold.

5. Jim

Yes that seems like a good idea, are my water temps OK for that plan you think?

6. Temps are fine. Point of cooling is a better crust on reheat. Key to cooling is get it down quickly to 40 or below. Don't linger on the cool...ice bath works well.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

So if you sous vide the lamb till it is done, and then cool it, no adverse effect? Is the theory being that you could subject it to high heat to crust it without over doing the inside?

Is this thread only for lamb or can I query about beef steaks?

8. Jim

9. Jim

Ok so time and temp are good, quick cool in water/ice bath. Is 40 fairenhieght? If so why so low?

10. Essentially avoiding so called 'danger zone' for reformation/spread of bacteria. Alternative is to hold at sous vide temp till service. You can still get a healthy, toothsome sear on this.... Maybe not to the extent you could if you cooled, but still very good and of course less complicated.

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have looked at controllers that turn your slow cooker into a sous vide. ranging in price from 39 to 300 usd. Any experience with these? If they work, it would be a way to check it out rather painlessly.

What would the drill be to take a 20 oz ribeye to medium and get a good sear on it? I am guessing you make your grill as hot as you can to minimized time over the coals? What benefit would be realized by wet aging the steak in the meat drawer in your refer for a week or so?

12. Jim

Lamb roast.jpg
    A couple Lamb roasts from the leg marinating in yougrt and spices. A Turkey roast for the rest of us...
    Lamb roasts SV.jpg
    See you tomorrow!

AH ok I see what you mean, I have the ice bath ready to go and am going to give it a shot. Not doing this very often makes every cook an adventure!

13. Jim

I often use the reverse sear on a nice cut of beef like rib eye 200 degrees in the oven until 125 or so internal then run it out to the blazing hot grill for a couple moments.

I don't bother with wet aging( don't see how it helps but not looking for a fight about it either) but a light sprinkle of kosher salt and covering the meat with a tea towel for a couple /three days in the fridge make a great difference to me.

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I was under the impression that aging beef is how you get the best flavor from it. that the enzymes in the beef have time to work on the connecting tissue and make it melt in your mouth tender. My unscientific experiment with steaks purchased in plastic wrap left in my refer until they loose their red are better than when you get them bright red and fresh. the tea towl method sounds interesting, but what about drying?

15. Jim - looks great! Off to a perfect start. Your guests are in for a treat.

16. Jim

Yep It, s a balancing act. Too dry is bad but personally too wet is worse. The tea towel seems to protect it enough.Give it a try.
    thanks for the support.

17. Jim

Lamb water bath.jpg Lamb finish.jpg

No photos served I am afraid- got a little crazy in the house.
    The lamb was very well received and the feedback was universally positive. The pieces I tasted were incredibly tender and flavorful.

Thanks for the help!

18. No time to take service pics with meat looking that good....