1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Choil pictures.

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by BathonUk, Apr 22, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi guys.
    I thought that it could be good idea to upload some original choil shoots. Let's say pictures of knife profile, so we will know what knife is that and then choil shoot. I am asking for that because I need choil shoot of Shigefusa santoku. Somebody asked me to thin it and I am not sure that either I should follow magic Shigefusa grind, if there is any, or just thin it down like usual.
    Please do not post pictures of knives which were already thinned or reground. If you do so please use big, coloured capital letters to describe it. Thank you

Regards
    Greg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Masamoto KS 270mm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Konosuke Fujiyama 270mm gyuto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shigefusa 150mm petty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. For some reason, the images I linked to in the previous post don't work anymore and I cant edit the post? If a moderator could remove that post I would be grateful. Here's the post once more, but with attached photos.

I just happened to have some pics of my Goko. The profile shots are maybe somewhat "warped" by my camera's wide angle auto-function, but the choil shot is ok.

Goko Gyuto 240 mm, white #1 core steel, stainless cladding

Goko_Gyuto_240_1_Profile.jpg

Goko_Gyuto_240_2_Profile.jpg

Goko_Gyuto_240_3_Choil.jpg

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

A 240mm Masamoto KS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teruyasu Fujiwara 210mm Gyuto

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Shigefusa 270mm Kasumi gyuto
    Ootb
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406799999.852160.jpg

6. I like the idea of having a lot of choil pictures available here in this thread. :) Gonna post more pictures of my knives.

Shiro Kamo Gyuto 240 mm, blue #2 core steel, reactive cladding, kurouchi
    (Original pictures here)

Shiro_Kamo_BD_Gyuto_240_2_Profile.jpg
    Shiro_Kamo_BD_Gyuto_240_3_Choil.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  7. Shiro Kamo Kamagata Usuba (double bevel) 165 mm, blue #2 core steel, reactive cladding, kurouchi
    (Original pictures here)

Shiro_Kamo_BD_Kamagata_Usuba_165_2_Profile.jpg

Shiro_Kamo_BD_Kamagata_Usuba_165_3_Choil.jpg

8. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

That nakiri is pretty cool. Too bad the maker doesn't seem to use his real name (blades are just stamped Echizen Takefu, the village where many makers work).

Edit: nevermind, found the shop, I think (加茂藤 http://www.takefu-knifevillage.jp/kamotou.html). I'm stupid when it comes to dealing with Romanized Japanese.

9. Heh, you're better than me anyways. ;) And yeah, that nakiri is really sweet.

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

A fan of the Kamo series are we? Very nice grinds on those knives.

11. Well, I have many Kamo knives because my local vendor has a lot of them. ;) But they are good knives. The kurouchi "black dragon" gyuto has a grind that gets into friction trouble sometimes, but it excels at cutting thin pieces of swedish turnips without them sticking to the blade of the knife and messing up the following cut - something most of my other knives with a more convex grind have problems with.

I'm also fond of this series: Akifusa AS Suminagashi Tsuchime. Knives that are a bit on the heavy side. As I understand it, Masami Asai was the maker of this series and he passed away a couple of weeks ago. RIP Asai-sama. :(

Akifusa AS Suminagashi Tsuchime K-tip Gyuto 240 mm, aogami super core steel, reactive cladding, damascus
    (Original pictures here)

Akifusa_AS_ST_K-tip_Gyuto_240_1_Profile_cropped.jpg
    Akifusa_AS_ST_K-tip_Gyuto_240_2_Profile.jpg
    Akifusa_AS_ST_K-tip_Gyuto_240_3_Choil.jpg

12. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

Single Bevel, Kiritsuke, Konosuke Fujiyama Ginsanko 240mm. No longer in my possession, but a gorgeous knife!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. @skiajl6297: Stupid question perhaps, but is the top picture the tip of the knife or the choil?

14. skiajl6297

skiajl6297 Founding Member

Choil shot, looking down the handle directly at the heel. Pretty cool - can see the hollow on the backside (ura) and the complex nature of the single bevel. Can see that from the shinogi line down on the front side it is more complicated than just a single flat uniform bevel. Great knife!

This knife is now in Brad Gibson's hands, and word on the street is he is putting it to excellent use!

15. Akifusa AS Suminagashi Tsuchime Hakata 170 mm, aogami super core steel, reactive cladding, damascus
    (Original pictures here)

Akifusa_AS_ST_Hakata_170_1_Profile.jpg
    Akifusa_AS_ST_Hakata_170_3_Choil.jpg

16. Akifusa AS Suminagashi Tsuchime Petty 160 mm, aogami super core steel, reactive cladding, damascus
    (Original pictures here)

Akifusa_AS_ST_Petty_160_1_Profile.jpg
    Akifusa_AS_ST_Petty_160_3_Choil.jpg